Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and seniors can really make it count by including a healthy variety of foods. Eating foods that are high in vitamins and nutrients not only help to reduce the risk for age-related conditions such as arthritis and hypertension, they provide seniors with the fuel needed to carry out daily activities. The below listed foods are some of favorites here at Mesa Home Care Assistance and are as simple to prepare as they are delicious and nutritious.
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal not only promotes a healthy heart but is an excellent source of fiber. Fiber aids in digestion, promotes bowel regularity and may even reduce the need for laxatives in seniors. Constipation in seniors can lead to serious conditions, so promote regularity with a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.
- Blueberries – Studies have shown that blueberries contain nutrients that boost memory and may even slow the progression of age-related memory loss. Make sure that the senior in your life is getting a healthy serving of blueberries in their diet to promote brain health and mental acuity.
- Eggs – Eggs contain Vitamin D which is responsible for helping the body absorb calcium. As we age, we lose calcium in our bodies, which can lead to conditions like osteoporosis. Seniors can benefit from moderate egg consumption to keep bones strong and healthy.
- Avocado – Don’t forget to add a few slices of avocado to breakfast to boost heart health. Avocados have been linked to healthy heart and cardiovascular function. Including avocados in a senior’s diet may also decrease the risk of stroke, diabetes and heart disease.
- Spinach – Spinach contains several nutrients associated with eye health and can prevent age-related blindness and glaucoma in seniors. Serve up a spinach omelet to ensure that your aging loved one gets these nutritious benefits as part of their breakfast.
Does your aging parent or loved one need help preparing breakfast each morning? Perhaps a bit of assistance with cooking at home can help to ensure their health. Home care may be the perfect solution, providing your loved one with the assistance they need, while promoting their independence. Along with Mesa 24 hour care, Home Care Assistance provides part-time care which can be used for help with morning, evening or weekend routines. To find out more or to request a complimentary, no-obligation consultation, call (480) 699-4899 and speak with a friendly Care Manager.