It’s important to adopt healthy living practices throughout life. However, with age, healthy habits become even more significant to overall health and wellness. Because the elderly may become more susceptible to diseases, infections, colds and advanced conditions, implementing the right strategies can ensure a strengthened immune system for optimal health and longevity.
At Home Care Assistance of Mesa, we stress the importance of a healthy lifestyle in our revolutionary approach to care, also known as the Balanced Care Method™. Promoting senior care with a heavy focus on balance and moderation, we wanted to share a few ways for seniors to boost overall health and strengthen the immune system:
- Eat Healthy – Senior diets are often missing variety. A combination of vegetables, fruits, vitamins D, C, and E and whole-grains are essential to help keep illnesses and diseases at bay. If you’re having trouble determining the right eating plan, seek help from a nutritionist who can help you determine which foods should be incorporated into your diet, specific to your individual needs.
- Get Vaccinated – While the debate around vaccinations is ongoing, research has shown that flu vaccinations are effective for a large percentage of older adults. Seniors who get vaccinations on a regular basis have been shown to significantly reduce their rate of illnesses and death.
- Limit Stress – Senior isolation, social anxiety and financial worry can take a toll on an elderly individual. However, significant amounts of stress can do harm to a body, leaving a person’s immune system vulnerable to illnesses and diseases. Family members can aid their senior loved ones in reducing their stress levels by helping to oversee their daily tasks such as bill paying, household chores, meal preparation and social commitments.
- Exercise – Incorporating regular physical activity into a senior’s life each day can relax the mind, promote circulation and strengthen the heart. Simple activities such as taking a walk, biking, yoga and lifting weights can boost the immune system and stave off infections. Seniors who do not currently exercise should consult with their doctor before starting a new regimen and should perform exercises under the care of a family member or professional Mesa caregiver to ensure safety.
- Enjoy a Good Night’s Sleep – Getting a good night’s sleep is a natural way to boost your body’s immune system. It also improves the way a senior’s body responds to illness, inflammation, stress, and the flu vaccination. Keeping busy throughout the day, following a normal schedule and setting the mood for slumber can be beneficial in achieving a good night’s rest.
A healthy immune system can help seniors enjoy better health and wellness in their golden years. For more senior health tips or to learn about the home care services available nearest you, contact a Care Manager at (480) 699-4899 today. In addition to providing part time care, we also provide specialty Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and dementia care in Mesa. Schedule a complimentary, no obligation consultation to further discuss individual needs and learn how Home Care Assistance is “changing the way the world ages.”