The summer heat can pose a challenge for active seniors who may need to limit their time outdoors during the hottest parts of the day. While it may be necessary to stay inside, there is no reason to let the summer interfere with some family fun. Check out these five ways to keep the entire family engaged while spending time with your aging parent this summer, presented by Home Care Assistance Mesa.
- Visit an Indoor Pool – When the temperatures rise, everyone knows that the best way to beat the heat is to take a dive into a swimming pool. This year, let the crowds head outdoors while your family explores nearby indoor swimming areas. Many aquatic and senior citizen centers even have dedicated hours and classes specifically for adult swimmers over a specific age.
- Host a Video Game Competition – When providing 24 hour senior care in Mesa, bring family members of all ages together to enjoy some friendly competition. Instead of the traditional board games, host a video competition and divide your loved ones into teams. To increase the fun, choose interactive video games that will encourage some active movement.
- Explore an Aquarium – A trip to the beach may be off the agenda this summer, but you can still give your parent an aquatic experience. The cool, darkness of an aquarium can be the perfect way to avoid the heat while getting a close-up view of wildlife such as dolphins and tranquil schools of fish.
- Plan Ahead for the Holidays – Planning ahead for upcoming events can help to boost your loved one’s spirits while filling in the time indoors. Choose a favorite holiday and begin preparing now by making ornaments, home decorations or addressing cards. To help you both get in the spirit, create a winter ambiance by hanging a string of lights and playing holiday music.
- Experiment with Frozen Treat Recipes – Staying hydrated is essential during the summer, yet water can get boring. Make a plan with your loved one to select several frozen treat recipes to try out each week. From fruit smoothies to homemade pudding popsicles, you can discover nutritious frozen delights that will add some chill to even the hottest of summer days.
These are just a few of the fun ways to enjoy the summer with your aging parent or loved one. If you need a break from some of the fun, reach out to Home Care Assistance of Mesa today. We offer hourly and live-in care services, and also specialize in dementia, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and stroke home care for Mesa seniors with more complex care needs. Find out more information by calling (480) 699-4899 and speak with one of our friendly Care Managers.